Do you avoid pasta and rice dishes due to that heavy sedated feeling that often follows? Then why not give ‘quinoa’ a go? Quinoa (keen-wah) is one of the most perfect non-animal sources of protein on the planet and an excellent alternative to rice, oats and wheat. It’s high in amino acids, calcium, magnesium, iron, copper and B vitamins which makes quinoa highly nutritional and branded as a superfood. It looks and feels like a grain but it’s not, it’s classed as a “Pseudo-Grain” and is a relative of leafy green vegetables like spinach and Swiss chard. Furthermore quinoa is the only plant source of complete protein. “Complete” means that it contains all 9 of the essential amino acids that are crucial to human function and health. Today I test-drove my husbands mushroom risotto recipe using quinoa instead of rice and it was delicious! Here’s the recipe;
Quinoa Mushroom Risotto
Ingredients: (for 2 people)
- 3 x Tablespoons Sunflower Oil (oil is important for the body and lubricates the joints)
- 1 x chopped onion
- 1 x chopped garlic clove
- 1 ½ cups chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup quinoa (avail at Coles & health food stores)
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 egg yolk
- 60mls pouring cream
- Heat oil on a saucepan, add onion and garlic and cook until soft
- Add mushrooms and cook until soft
- Pour in quinoa, toss around with other ingredients for about a minute
- Add 1 cup of hot stock, stir and wait for all liquid to be absorbed.
- Add 2nd cup of stock, stir and wait for liquid to be absorbed . . . . then add 3rd cup of stock and same again.
- Crack an egg yolk into a bowl (discard the egg white), add pouring cream and whisk for a few seconds then pour into saucepan with quinoa mixture. Cooking’s done!
- Serve with shavings of Parmesan cheese and a few fresh basil leaves, yum!